Rachel Brice’s 8 Elements Level 2 (Cultivation): Testing Successful October 2013
From creator Rachel Brice: “The 8 Elements™ is a technique-based approach developed by Rachel Brice. It is rooted in tribal fusion, American tribal, and American cabaret belly dance styles, other contemporary and ethnic dance forms, and viniyoga™.
The 8 Elements™ is a multi-phase training designed to impart a strong, creative and dynamic foundation to one’s belly dance practice, and as a way to complement and converse with the many belly dance styles. The intention of this process-centered approach is not to teach a set style of belly dance, but rather, seeks to explore the underlying architecture of many dance styles, honoring traditions, while encouraging discovery, excellence, innovation and joy.”
Dark Side Studio’s Dark Side Dance Program Level 2 (Lavender): Testing Successful April 2014. (Testing partially successful for Level 3 in June, 2016. Kristine will test for remaining modules in 2018)
From creator Audra Simmons: “The Dark Side Dance Program is a series of intensive workshops designed to provide a comprehensive, multi-stage dance foundation for belly dancers of any style. This dual pronged approach, with focus on both technique and musicality, aims to provide students with the ability to practice, create and perform belly dance, with individuality, confidence and versatility.
The four stages of the Dark Side Dance Program encourage students to develop body awareness, body control and critical thinking as they develop technical and creative skills through drills, discussion, critique and guided group exercises.”
FatChanceBellyDance American Tribal Style General Skills & Teacher Training: Certified October 2014
American Tribal Style is a unique group improvised belly dance which emerged in San Fransisco in the 1980s and 1990s. Utilizing a specific movement vocabulary, groups of dancers employ cues and formations to spontaneously create complex group performances. The 35 hour certification intensive breaks down the technique and stylization of the movements, and trains dancers to break down this information for students.
Intensives & Workshop Training
- 2017 July 22-23: Michelle Sorensen – Drill Bits, Read Between the Lines, Milk It, Vintage Hollywood. Edmonton, AB. (8 hours).
- 2017 July 7-16: Audra Simmons – Take It Back performance intensive. Toronto, ON. (75-ish hours)
- 2016 September 16-17: Audra Simmons – Dark Autumn Technique & Creativity Workshops, Edmonton AB (8 hours).
- 2016 June 24-July 3: Audra Simmons – Turquoise Intensive & Certification, Toronto, ON (63 hours).
- 2016 April 2-3: SamiTe – Hot Pot Style ITS Level 1 Intensive, Calgary, AB (8 hours).
- 2016 January 29-31: Jill Parker: Shimmy Shake Winter Break weekend, Calgary, AB (12 hours).
- 2015 June 23-28: Audra Simmons & Heather Labonté – The Lavish Project Performance Intensive, Toronto, ON (50 hours)
- 2015 April 25 & 26: BC BellyFest (various instructors and topics), Pentiction, BC (8 hours). *Kristine was also a featured instructor at this festival!
- 2015 January 25: Amy Sigil – The Human Adventure, Vancouver, BC (4 hours)
- 2015 January 24: Amy Sigil – 6/8 Symphony, Vancouver, BC (2 hours)
- 2015 January 24: Amy Sigil – Working in the Moment, Vancouver, BC (2 hours)
- 2014 Nov. 29: OPA’s Vancouver Island Belly Dance Workshops (various instructors and topics), Victoria, BC (5 hours)
- 2014 Oct. 16-22: Carolena Nericcio & Megha Gavin – An ATS Dream (FCBD General Skills & Teacher Training Certification), Toronto, ON (35 hours)
- 2014 Sept. 20-21: Heather Labonté – Weekend Intensive, Calgary, AB (10 hours)
- 2014 June 14-15: SamiTe’ – Tribal Fusion Workshop Weekend, Calgary, AB (8 hours)
- 2014 April 9-13: Audra Simmons – Lavender Intensive & Certification, Toronto, ON (35 hours)
- 2013 Oct. 5 – 12: Rachel Brice – Cultivation Intensive & Certification, Portland, OR (54 hours)
- 2013 June 4 – 7: Audra Simmons – Basic Black Intensive & Certification, Toronto, ON (24 hours)
- 2013 May 31 – June 3: Kami Liddle – Dive in the Deep End, Toronto, ON (18 hours)
- 2013 Nourhan Sharif & Karim Nagi – Weekend Workshops including Debke, musicality, and Assaya (cane). Calgary, AB (11 hours)
- 2013 March 16 – 20: Rachel Brice – Initiation Intensive & Certification, Portland, OR (34 hours)
- 2012 Nov. 29: Audra Simmons –Private Lesson, Toronto, ON (2 hours)
- 2012 May 5-7: Hadia & Denise Enan – Calgary Weekend Workshops, Calgary, AB (13 hours)
- 2012 April 12-14: Sandi Ball – Fat Chance Belly Dance intensive, Edmonton, AB (8 hours)
- 2010 April 26: Audra Simmons – Private Lesson, St. John’s, NL (2 hours)
- 2010 April 25: Audra Simmons –NL Intensive: The Cherry on Top, Drillayering, Arms & Hands, Modern Fundamentals (9 hours)
- 2010 April 19: Samantha Emanuel – Private Lesson, Toronto, ON (1 hour)
- 2010 April 16-18: Samantha Emanuel – Dive In, Toronto, ON (15 hours)
- 2008 Oct 18 – 19: Audra Simmons –Dark Fundamentals & Dark Cabaret, St. John’s, NL (8 hours)
- 2016 – present Nightingale Dance practice/rehersals (2-4 hours weekly)
- 2013 – 2014 Mythri Tribal Dance Collective practice (2-4 hours weekly)
- 2010 – 2012 Seraka Dance Co. practices (4-6 hours weekly)
- 2005 – 2009 Classes with Andrea Kitta and The Neighbourhood Strays Bellydance Troupe at all levels (1-5 hours weekly). Performed 2006-2010.
Additional Occasional Study
- Eighth Wonder Belly Dance (Calgary, AB)
- Jumanah & the Little Fish Dance Co. (Calgary, AB)
- Ariellah (Calgary, AB)
- Heidi & the Bedouin Dance Co. (Calgary, AB)
- Monique Ryan (Halifax, NS)
- Ainsley (Yale, CT & St. John’s, NL)
2011-present Independent Instructor
- Sept. 2015 – present. Weekly classes (beginner – advanced) and private lessons in Calgary, AB.
- Sept. 2015 – present. Weekly classes (beginner) at the YMCA Calgary. (Shawnessy location).
- April 2015 – instructor at BC BellyFest
- 2015 – weekly classes in North Vancouver, BC
- 2012-2014 – Private lesson instructor for dancers in the Calgary area.
- Sept. 2014 – Specialty workshops in St. John’s, NL
2009-2010 Seraka Dance Company, St. John’s, NL
- Mini-workshops at events and private parties.
- Private lessons.
2009-2010 Wild Lily Dance Centre, St. John’s, NL
- Weekly beginner and intermediate class sessions.
- Topical workshops beginner through advanced.
2006-2009 The Neighbourhood Strays Dance Troupe, St. John’s, NL
- Weekly beginner and intermediate class sessions.
- Troupe member training and choreography classes.
- Topical workshops including props, stagecraft, technique, and costuming.
- Mini-workshops at private events and parties.
2006-2007 The Healing Circle, St. John’s, NL
- Weekly beginner classes and occasional workshops. Particular attention to the mobility issues experienced by participants at this location.
2012-present: Solo Performing Artist. Highlights include:
- Summers on 17th, hosted by MarketSpot YYC (2016, Calgary AB)
- Sensualita, hosted by BodyArtMotion (2016, Calgary, AB)
- Shimmy Shake Cabaret feat. Jill Parker (2016, Calgary, AB)
- The Lavish Project (2015, Toronto, ON)
- BC BellyFest Instructor Showcase (2015, Pentiction, BC)
- OPA Vancouver Island Belly Dance Showcase (2014, Victoria, BC)
- Hip Hip Hooray Cabaret (October Edition): Toronto’s Belly Dance & World Fusion Party. (2014, Toronto, ON)
- Beautiful Unusual: An evening of eclectic belly dance (2014, Calgary, AB)
- Featured performer at Night at the Caravansari, presented by Seraka Dance Company ( 2014, St. John’s, NL)
- Tribal Fusion Dance Show featuring SamiTe’ (2014 – Calgary, AB)
- Featured performer at Chandra’s Community Hafla (2013 – Claresholm, AB)
- Abir’s Casbah “A Night in Cairo” showcase – performing with Mythri Dance Collective (2013, Calgary, AB)
- Lotus BellyDance Studio’s “Souke it To Me” Fundraiser & Showcase (2013, Calgary, AB)
- Lotus BellyDance Studio’s “Shimmy the Night Away” showcase (2012, Calgary, AB)
2009-2010: Seraka Dance Company (St. John’s, NL). Founding member and Director until leaving Newfoundland. Auditioned and selected dancers, provided training and developed choreography. Performed both solo and group pieces. Performance highlights include:
- Solo and group performances with local bands “The Forgotten Bouzouki” and “The Newish Klezmer Ensemble” (2009-2010)
- Eclection Art & Fashion show (August 2010)
- Canada Day celebrations (July 2010)
- Neighbourhood Dance Works “So You Think You Can Dance” showcase (March 2010)
2006-2009. The Neighbourhood Strays Bellydance Troupe (St. John’s, NL). Progressed to principle dancer and later Co-Director. Developed solo pieces and developed troupe choreography. Actively involved in training new troupe members. With Artistic Director, leased and ran studio space, classes and events. Performance highlights include:
- MUN Folklore Society “Mary Griffith’s Night” (2006-2008)
- Kittiwake Dance Theatre’s SummerDance Festival (2006-2009)
- ArtFusion festival (2007-2008 – Mount Pearl, NL)
- Arts Under the Stars (2008 – Clarenville, NL)
- Dance on the Edge (2007-2008)
- CIBC Run for the Cure (2008)